Who has time to layer infinite ingredients into a lasagna pan? Not this girl. This Instant Pot lasagna soup is quick and easy to whip up. It’s a great way to curb those lasagna cravings in a jiffy. Sure, a classic lasagna is decadent and amazing comfort food, but imagine this as the quick weeknight edition for a hungry family.
With a few classic lasagna ingredients you can pull this off in no time. I love using real Italian sausage, and I’m lucky enough to have homemade Italian sausage here but you can grab whatever you have available in stores. This is also super easy to make gluten free, like I did, if you have access to gluten free lasagna noodles. If you’re lactose intolerant, you can serve the cheese on the side and have those who want cheese add it to their soups.
- olive oil
- Italian sausage
- beef broth
- chopped tomatoes
- lasagna noodles
- frozen kale or spinach
- mixed Italian cheeses
- black pepper
Cook the Meat
Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting and start browning crumbled Italian sausage (make sure you’ve removed the skin) and salt. Cook it until it’s brown and then add the onion and garlic. It’s as simple as that to start making your quick lasagna soup.
Deglaze the bottom of the pan with beef broth. Scrape up any stuck on brown bits so it doesn’t burn while pressure cooking. Add the chopped tomatoes and top with broken lasagna noodles. Stir it or push the lasagna noodles so that they’re underneath the liquid and that they don’t overlap too much on top of one another or they won’t cook evenly. After it’s done pressure cooking, stir in frozen greens like kale or spinach. It’ll be so hot that it’ll cook almost instantly. To serve it, have some fresh or dried basil on hand, some mixed Italian cheeses and fresh ground pepper.
Lasagna Soup in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb italian sausage skin removed and crumbled
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 28oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups broken lasagna noodles I used gluten free dried noodles
- 1 cup frozen kale or spinach
- 1 cup mixed Italian cheeses I used grated mozzarella and parmesan
- fresh or dried basil leaves
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the Instant Pot on saute mode on medium heat.
- Add oil and crumbled Italian sausage and salt. Cook for 3 minutes or until browned.
- Add in onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Pour in broth and tomatoes and stir. Scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure you scrape up any browned bits off the bottom.
- Add in the lasagna noodles.
- Cancel the saute setting.
- Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. Naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in frozen kale. The heat should cook it in no time but if you want it a little more tender, set the Instant Pot on saute mode on medium and simmer for 5 more minutes stirring occasionally.
- Ladel into bowls and top with cheese, herbs and pepper.
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!