I can’t think of a comfort food better than grilled cheese, can you? I live a mostly gluten free lifestyle, so I was excited to find a brand of sourdough that creates a nice, big, gluten free sandwich that comes together great in the Ninja Foodi. Feel free to use a light rye bread yourself for this cheese pizza inspired version of an air fryer grilled cheese sandwich.
I’ve used both mayo and softened butter to butter both sides of the outsides of the bread. Some people use one or the other. If you’re unfamiliar with using mayo on the outside of a grilled cheese sandwich, it really adds to the browning and crisping of the bread, since it’s practically just oil. I opted for a combo because butter is just so darn tasty. I think any good grilled cheese benefits from blending cheeses. I did a cheddar parmesan blend since I paired this sandwich with a pizza sauce dip.
- sourdough (gluten free or not)
- pizza sauce
Butter and Mayo the Slices
Start preheating your Ninja Foodi. In the mean time, butter the slices of bread. To make your life easier, make sure you are using softened butter. With a small wooden spoon, combine the butter and mayo together. Spread it on one side of both slices of bread.
Fill with Cheese
Flip the slices of bread butter side down and top one slice of bread with compact cheese. It looks like a lot at first, but the more cheese the better. You can squish the cheese a bit with your hand to keep it stable on the bread slice. Top the cheesy bread with the other slice of bread, butter side up. Carefully place on the trivet in the Ninja Foodi. Crisp until nice and golden brown. The cheese should be melted on the inside. While the air fryer grilled cheese crisps, warm up the pizza sauce for dipping. Garnish with parsley to get fancy!
Ninja Foodi Grilled Cheese
- Ninja Foodi
- 1 tbsp softened butter
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 2 slices light rye sourdough bread I used the Schar gluten free brand
- ⅓ cup cheddar cheese finely shredded
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese finely shredded
- ¼ cup pizza sauce for dipping, warmed (optional)
- 1 sprig parsley for garnish
- Preheat Ninja Foodi with grill insert to Air Crisp at 360F.
- Mix butter and mayo together.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread with butter and mayo.
- Place shredded cheeses on one of the slices of bread, buttered side down.
- Place other slice of bread, plain side against the cheese so that the buttered side of the second slice is on the outside. Secure bread slices together with toothpicks.
- Place in Ninja Foodi and Air Crisp for 8 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve with pizza sauce for dipping. Garnish with parsley.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
Enjoy your grilled cheese with some tasty Rustic Beef and Barley Soup or have some Homemade Tortilla Chips with Zesty Ranch Seasoning on the side.
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!