A tasty Mexican style taco pizza that’s topped with marinated steak, fresh tomatoes and melted cheese on a flatbread. Perfect for Cinco De Mayo or any occasion where tasty food is a requirement, which is every occasion if you ask me.
- Steak (most types will do. I used top sirloin)
- Mexican Shredded Cheese Blend
- Your Favorite Salsa
- Indian Style Flatbread
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- Fresh Lime
- Ground Cumin
- Fresh Garlic
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream
I know! This recipe has nothing to do with tacos or pizza. I technically would categorize this as a flatbread. But calling it “taco pizza” tells you so much more about it than flatbread. The flavor profile, how one might go about eating it, how it is assembled etc.. So at the risk of making all the taco and pizza aficionados of the world upset I’m calling it a taco pizza.
If you have a name you think works better leave it in the comments below.
Choosing the Right Steak
There are a lot of expensive cuts of steak out there. Sliced thin enough any steak will do in a pinch. If you want something nice and tender that’s not crazy expensive, I recommend Top Sirloin Fillet I find it to be quite tender whether I sear it up in cast iron or chop it up and sauté it. Most steak will do fine though, so use what’s available. Just make sure to slice it against the grain, and make it nice and thin.
Assembling a Masterpiece
How you assemble the toppings matters. The goal is to melt the cheese and create some browning without drying out the steak. I like to divide my cheese into three equal parts. I start with a light layer of sauce (salsa in this case) then 1/3rd of the cheese, then the meat. Then more cheese. This partially enshrouds the meat with cheese preventing too much direct heat from drying it out. Then I top with any vegetable toppings. Veggies tend to be full of water and can survive a lot of direct heat without drying out or burning. Then the last of the cheese.
Garnish to Impress
A sprinkle of fresh cilantro is a must for the finished dish. The Cumin Lime Sour Cream really goes great here as well.
I thin out the sour cream with a tiny bit of water and do the zig zag thing with a squirt bottle. If you don’t have a bottle just serve it on the side, it will be fine either way.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I.
Till next time,
Happy Cooking – Chef Eric
Air Fryer Taco Pizza
- Air Fryer
- Standard Stove
- Saute Pan
- Knife/Cutting Board
- Small Mixing Bowl
- 1/3 pound steak (I used Top Sirloin.)
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup Your favorite salsa.
- 1 6-8" Flatbread
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 tbsp diced chipotle peeppers in adobo sauce (Add more for extra spicy.)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves fresh chopped garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparing the Steak
- Begin by slicing the steak against the grain into the thinnest slices you can.
- Add sliced steak to a small mixing bowl allong with all of the "steak marinade" ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, or as long as overnight.
- While the steak marinades Dice 1/4 cup of fresh tomato and prepare any garnish you plan to use. I.E chopped cilantro and cumin lime sour cream. You can thin out the sour cream with a tiny bit of water for a nicer garnish.
- Place a saute pan over medium high heat and add a tsp of cooking oil. When pan is hot add marinated steak and saute till most of the steak is browned. Add a splash of water to deglaze the pan. Continue simmering till excess water exaporates almost completly. Take pan off of heat
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 F or 190 C. Toast flat bread by itself for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove flatbread and top with salsa, cooked steak, tomatoes and cheese. Return to air fryer and continue cooking for 2 1/2 – 3 1/2 minutes.
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro, and Cumin Lime Sour Cream. If you have a squirt bottle to make fancy "stripes" on the pizza go for it, otherwise just serve it on the side for dipping. Slice into 4 pieces and enjoy.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
Enjoy this taco pizza with some of our Guacamole You Can Brag About or top it with some Taqueria Style Pickled Jalapenos.
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!