Ready for a melty cheesy chicken quesadilla? Made in the air fryer in about 10 minutes, you can’t go wrong. I’m not going to pretend that this is an authentic Mexican Quesadilla. The green chilis and chipotle do give it an amazing flavor that will remind you of an authentic Mexican Quesadilla, but the gooey creamy cheese inside will remind you that this chicken quesadilla is something unique.
- 8″ Flour Tortillas
- Roasted Chicken (Light or Dark meat)
- Black Beans
- Diced Green Chilis
- Cream Cheese
- Green Onions
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- Diced Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
In this recipe you will see that I call for a sheet of tin foil to place the quesadilla on, to make placing and removing it from the air fryer basket easy. It seemed like a stretch to ask people to flip an 8″ floppy cheese bomb without expecting some real disasters. The foil does however interfere with the crisping of the tortillas. If you feel confident with flipping this chicken quesadilla with just a spatula, go for it. The foil version is fine, but if you have the skills to flip this sucker, it will be better.
The foil will cool very quickly once the fryer basket is opened, it’s very thin, and a great conductor of heat energy etc… Trust me it’s science. Just always be careful and respect the hot surfaces of your air fryer.
Make The Filling Ahead of Time
The recipe I list for these quesadillas makes enough for two. You could easily make one and refrigerate the leftover filling and store it for up to a week in the refrigerator. This will make for some amazing homemade snacks later in the week.
I call for “cooking spray” in nearly every air fryer recipe. The kind you use makes very little difference as far as the texture and flavor of a recipe. So long as it is some kind of oil, it will work. We are just trying to make stuff golden brown and delicious.
There is a lot of information out there concerning which vegetable oils are best for cooking. I’m going to stay out of that debate as most people are working with some bad information. The current state of nutritional science concerning various fats is quite different from the traditional nutritional dogma that was passed down to our parents’ generation. I will say that I prefer olive oil, simply because I have been brainwashed from 20 years of professional cooking to believe that olive oil is the only oil.
Hope you enjoy this chicken quesadilla and even more I hope you fiddle with the recipe and make it your own.
Happy cooking – Chef Eric
Chicken Quesadilla in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- tin foil
- Cutting Board
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 4 8" Flour Tortillas
- 6 oz Cooked Chicken rough diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 7 1/2 oz 1/2 can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 4 oz Diced Green Chilis
- 4 oz Cream Cheese softened (room temp)
- 1/4 cup Green Onions rough chopped
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheese cheddar or Mexican blend
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients with the exception of the tortillas. Mix thoroughly.
- Place a sheet of tin foil on the counter, then a tortilla on top. Spoon 1/2 of the filling onto the tortilla and spread into and even layer.
- Place another tortilla over the filling and press firmly to even out any lumps.
- Lightly spray both sides of quesadilla with cooking spray. Using the edges of the foil sheet as a pair of handles, place the quesadilla into an air fryer preheated to 375 F or 190 C.
- Air crisp for 3 minutes. Remove tortilla using the tin foil. You should only need about 10 seconds before the foil will be cool enough to handle with bare hands.Place quesadilla on cutting board and use a spatula to carefully flip it over. Then return it to the air fryer and air crisp for another 3 minutes.
- Remove Quesadilla and cut into 4 equal pieces and enjoy.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!