We all love good pub snacks for the Big Game but the typical 7 layer dip is often full of carbs. Check out my version of a classic layered dip that’s low carb vegetable, bean-free so it is easy to digest, and a great Big Game snack. This recipe was designed with sensitive tummies in mind but everyone will enjoy it.
We all love sour cream but some people digest Greek yogurt better which is why I’ve included it in my version, but feel free to add sour cream (and even a layer of shredded aged cheddar cheese) to this delicious layer dip. As for my refried bean substitute, welcome in what could be a new ingredient to you – baba ganouj! Don’t let the eggplant in the baba ganouj deter you. If you get it from a reputable Lebanese or middle eastern grocer, it’s a delicious, smoky creamy dip for bread or used as a spread. I’ve seen some people use cooked eggplant and a number of spices as a re-fried bean substitute so I thought it’d be great to just use some eggplant spread already prepared. Adding some cumin and chipotle en adobo works wonders. Don’t have access to these ingredients? substitute with some ground Taco Hash from this recipe. You can also hack this recipe by buying pre-made guacamole!
- baba ganouj
- ground cumin
- chipotle en adobo
- lime juice
- greek yogurt
Making the Dips
To start, simply mix the baba ganouj with cumin and chipotle. Layer that in the bottom of a glass serving dish. Then, make some guacamole by mashing two ripe avocados with salt and lime juice. Layer that carefully on top of the baba ganouj.
From there, get to layering! If you’re serving this in a glass container, it’s nice to smooth out the top as evenly as possible and to wipe the edge a bit with a paper towel so that you can see the layers well from the sides. Spread the Greek yogurt over the guacamole you just made, then sprinkle tomato, lettuce, olives, and cilantro on top evenly one at a time.
Prepare Food for Dipping
Low carb dip accouterments can be a head-scratcher for some. I have these beautiful large, mild, and delicious watermelon radishes that I peeled and sliced thin. Honestly, they were delicious with the dip! Then you can get some cut carrots and, of course, good ol’ pork rinds for some more crunch.
Low Carb Vegetable Dip - The Perfect Super Bowl Snack
- clear serving bowl
- 1 227 g tub baba ganouj eggplant spread
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chipotle en adobo sauce
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 beefsteak tomato cored and chopped
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce sliced thin
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
Low Carb Serving Suggestions
- 2 cups pork rinds
- 2 large radishes sliced into rounds
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced on an angle
- Mix baba ganouj, cumin and chipotle en adobo. Layer at the bottom of your glass serving bowl.
- Mash avocado with lime juice and salt. Taste for seasoning. Layer carefully on top of baba ganouj layer.
- Spread Greek yogurt over avocado layer.
- Sprinkle chopped tomato over Greek yogurt.
- Sprinkle lettuce evenly over tomato.
- Top with sliced olives and cilantro.
- Don't want to use baba ganouj? Use half of this Taco Hash Recipe instead of the eggplant, cumin and chipotle en adobo.
- Use a tub of pre-made guacamole instead of making your own if you're in a rush.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded aged cheddar for a little extra somethin' somethin'.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
More For The Big Game
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!