Fork-tender beef and mushrooms with wide egg noodles and a creamy sauce, homemade beef stroganoff, all done in the instant pot. On the table in about 30 minutes. This is another meal we’ve added to our weekly rotation, easy beef stroganoff in the Instant Pot. I think you’ll love this as much as we do.
For a slightly different take on this great recipe, you might like to try Debbie’s Version found HERE
- Stew cut Beef
- garlic cloves
- dried thyme
- yellow or white onion
- wide egg noodles
- chicken broth
- soy sauce
- Worchestershire sauce
- chicken broth
- all-purpose flour
- chopped mushrooms
- sour cream
- oil for saute’ing
- salt and pepper to taste
Chop and Saute
Start by chopping up the onion. Cut your beef if you didn’t buy it already cut, and have your mince press and garlic cloves ready. I went ahead and cut my mushrooms in half before I started the saute process as well. Using the Instant Pot, saute function, heat your oil, and then add your onions. Once they’re looking translucent, add the beef.
Brown The Sides of The Beef
Season your beef with some salt and pepper. Add the beef. As the sides of the cubes start to brown, add your minced garlic and thyme into the pot. Cook until it’s fragrant. Should only take about 30 seconds. Then add soy sauce and Worchestershire sauce.
Combine All But The Sour Cream
Stir in your chopped mushrooms. Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly to incorporate. Add your chicken broth. You can add more salt at this point if you feel it needs more.
Time for Pressure
Close and lock the lid. Set the timer for 10 minutes on high pressure. When finished, release the pressure carefully (quick-release). Open the cooker lid away from you.
Add your egg noodles and slowly stir them in. Seal the lid again and cook on high pressure for another 5 minutes. This time allow a natural release for 5 minutes before you release the remaining pressure. Safely remove the lid, add your sour cream, and enjoy.
Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot
- Pressure Cooker
- cooking oil
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 lb beef stew meat cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms I used white mushrooms
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz wide egg noodles
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Chop Onions and Beef. Set instant pot to saute, add oil. Once oil is hot, add onions and saute until translucent. Should take about 3 minutes. Stirring constantly so they do not burn.
- Season Beef with salt and pepper to taste. Add to the pot and brown evenly on all sides. This should take about 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and dried thyme. heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add soy and Worchestershire sauce.
- Stir in mushrooms. Slowly add flour while stirring to evenly incorporate. pour in chicken broth and taste-test. If more salt is needed, feel free to add that now (also, you may like more fresh ground black pepper). Secure the lid and set the timer for 10 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up, use the quick-release method to release the pressure.
- Add your egg noodles to the pressure cooker. Stir until the noodles are wet. The liquid will not be enough to cover them, This is okay. Replace the lid, set the timer to 5 minutes. When the time is up, allow it to natural-release pressure for 5 minutes before hitting the valve to release the remaining pressure.
- Carefully stir in your sour cream and serve. I topped mine with freshly chopped green onions and a dollop of the remaining sour cream in the 8oz container that I bought.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
More Ideas For The Instant Pot
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!