I first heard of beer butt chicken on a beer can chicken stand through a friend’s mom of mine. The concept was fun and intriguing. Chicken can notoriously dry out, especially on the barbecue. Infusing the chicken with beer as it cooks is a great way to impart flavour and moisture. Making the chicken in the Instant Pot along with some baked potatoes makes a great quick one-pot dinner when you’re craving a summer BBQ when it’s too cold outside.
Like cooking with beer? We also have a recipe for Irish Stout Beef Pot Pie
This Insta-Rack beer butt chicken, of course, needs beer! I used a gluten-free beer but feel free to use any beer you’d like. I used a pre-blended bbq seasoning mix to season my chicken. Otherwise, check out how few ingredients there are! The size of the chicken is key here so that it fits in the Instant Pot accurately.
- whole chicken
- olive oil
- bbq seasoning (or favourite chicken seasoning blend)
- small can of beer of your choice
- chicken broth
- lemon juice
- whole potatoes
Seasoning the Chicken
Rub the chicken with olive oil so your seasoning sticks. Rub the chicken all over with seasoning (and bonus points if you add a little to the cavity of the chicken.
Beer Can on the Insta-Rack
Put your beer can on the rack after you’ve put the rack in the instant pot. Pour chicken stock and lemon juice into the bottom of the instant pot. This adds even more flavour!
Fitting on Chicken and Potatoes
Fit the chicken on top of the rack and skewer the potatoes on the sides. Talk about an easy one-pot meal! Pressure cook for 20 minutes on the high setting and quick release. Carefully remove the chicken and potatoes after double-checking that they’re cooked through enough. Use a meat thermometer to ensure chicken is at least 165F in the thickest part of the chicken. Potatoes should be soft and tender in the center. If they’re not cooked, pressure cook for an additional 4 min.
Beer Can Chicken and Baked Potatoes on the Insta-Rack!
- Instant Pot 8 Qt.
- whole chicken I used a 4 lb chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup bbq seasoning mix or chicken seasoning of your choice
- 1 small can beer of choice (I used gluten free)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 whole potatoes no bigger than 3" wide, pricked several times with fork tines all around the potato
- butter for serving on the potatoes
- 1 sprig parsley for garnish (optional)
- Pat chicken dry. Rub with olive oil and generously season with bbq seasoning mix.
- Place insta-rack inside your instant pot. Fit the beer can inside the slot meant for the can.
- Fit the opening of the chicken over the beer can. The chicken will have its drumsticks pointing down.
- Pour chicken broth and lemon juice into the bottom of the pan.
- Skewer the potatoes onto the skewers pointing up on the insta-rack.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 20 minutes. Quick-release.
- Check to see if chicken is cooked. The thickest part of the thigh should be at least 165F.
- Remove chicken and potatoes carefully. Chicken being fall apart tender is normal.
- Serve with baked potatoes slathered in butter.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
Southern Comfort Foods!
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!