Do you have a vegetarian coming for your holiday meal? This delicious brown rice & sweet potato casserole is a really great sheet pan meal with a unique blend of spices that will satisfy any guest, veggie or not. Not only is it vegetarian but it’s gluten-free and vegan! The beans add extra protein and the flavours will make this a great side dish to any roast. It’s also great on its own warm or cold as an easy lunch. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Get more ideas for thanksgiving dinner here.
This may seem like an intimidating list but you probably have some combination of dried fruit or seeds in your pantry. The seasonings are very cozy and beg to be eaten in the winter. The tang of the lime juice pairs so well with the cranberries and really punch through the richness of the sweet potato.
- sweet potato
- red onion
- olive oil
- brown rice
- white beans
- dried cranberries
- pumpkin seeds
- almond slivers
- green onions
- lime juice
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
Roast the Sweet Potato
You’ll love the smell of these sweet potatoes roasting in the oven. Toss them with red onions and olive oil. The seasonings are optional but very recommended. Coriander and cinnamon complement the sweetness of the sweet potato so well. I roast them until deep golden brown. While they roast, start cooking your brown rice on the stove. They should both be ready around the same time but double-check the rice instructions just to be sure. You can even make this with leftover rice, too.
Make the Dressing
Combine all of the dressing ingredients together. Soy sauce, lime juice, olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, and sugar. With the exception of olive oil, this is a really nice South East Asian-inspired dressing.
Add the Ingredients All Together
This is where these epic fall/winter flavours come together. Mix the cranberries, beans, nuts, seeds, and green onions together with the cooked sweet potato and brown rice. Once they’re combined, drizzle on the dressing and enjoy!
Vegetarian Holiday Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Casserole
- large sheet pan
- Parchment Paper
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into 3/4" cubes
- 1 large red onion peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp coriander seed ground
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1, 16 oz can cannelini beans also known as white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
- 3 large green onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil optional but tasty
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Toss all of the sweet potato ingredients together in a large bowl until evenly covered.
- Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place all of the sweet potato ingredients on the tray and spread out so they all rest in one layer.
- Bake until starting to look deeply roasted but careful they don't burn. You may want to toss them with a spatula on the sheet pan half way through cook time. They took me 25 minutes. It may take 5 minutes more or less depending on how hot your oven gets. To ensure sweet potatoes are cooked, a knife inserted into the thickest piece should go in easily.
- While sweet potato cooks, cook the brown rice on the stove according to package instructions.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- When sweet potatoes and brown rice are done, add them to a large mixing bowl along with the Additions listed in the ingrediens. Add the dressing and toss until combined.
- Serve right away, at room temperature or cold.
One thought on “Vegetarian Holiday Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Casserole”
This salad is excellent!