Are you hungry for a quick inexpensive gluten-free snack? I have loved these Indian vegetable fritters (known as pakoras) for years. My girlfriends and I in high school would get together for take-out Indian food monthly and these little fritters would be my favourite. I hope you like this easy homemade version of them. Serve them with ketchup or, more traditionally, tamarind chutney or cilantro dipping sauce.
These would go really great as a side item with Curry Lamb Stew.
For those who are gluten free-curious, chickpea flour (or besan flour as Indians say) may be a new flour for you. It is great used mixed with vegetables as it is here. You can find it at most bulk food or international grocery stores. The vegetable can vary. Think about what would be the same texture and make sure to cut everything in thin long lengths.
- red onion
- chickpea flour
- rice flour
- chili powder
- vegetable oil
- ketchup or chutney for serving
Slice the Vegetables
If you have a mandolin, those can be handy to slice the cabbage and onions as thin as possible. The point of this is to make sure the vegetables cook through in the air fryer. The thicker they are, the longer it will be to cook through. Add them to a bowl.
Forming the Dough
Squeezing with your hands, mix and incorporate all of the remaining ingredients together. Give it a few minutes before you cook them so that the vegetables begin to release moisture. This is the perfect opportunity to preheat your air fryer.
Form and Cook
When your batter is thick and ready to cook, see if you need to add a little water. You don’t want it too wet because then the batter will fall through your air fryer basket. When you are ready to cook, spray the basket and add small dollops of the fritter dough to your basket leaving about 1″ space between each one. Spray with cooking oil Air fry for 6 minutes, flip over and cook until golden and crisp.
Air Fryer Vegetable Fritters (Pakoras)
- Air Fryer
- cooking spray
- 1 cup cabbage sliced thin
- ½ cup red onion sliced thin
- 1 cup chickpea flour also known as besan flour
- 3 tbsp rice flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro leaves
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup ketchup or tamaraind chutney or other Indian dipping sauce, for serving
- Mix all of the ingredients together except for the chosen dipping sauce.
- Squeeze with your hands until you start to feel some liquid release from the vegetables. The liquid will form a thicker dough and bind the vegetables together. Knead for 2 min.
- Preheat air fryer to 350F.
- Check the dough. Start adding water 1 tbsp at a time.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil.
- Using a measuring spoon or small cookie scoop, put about 2 tbsp batter onto the air fryer basket. Press each one down lightly. Leave about 1" between each fritter. Spray top with cooking oil spray liberally.
- Air fry 6 min. Flip and spray again with cooking spray. Air fry an additional 2-3 minutes or until the middle is soft and cooked.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce of choice.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
More From Eva Bee!
Check out our Raw Date Brownie Bites or Instant Pot Mexican Street Corn.
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!