Guys! Stop what you’re doing and make this Guinness cheese dip, asap! You’ve had cheese dip before, you may have even had beer cheese dip at a pub, but this is Guinness beer cheese. It made my taste buds so happy. Recently, I took Chef Eric’s Mac and Cheese recipe and shared how to do that in the instant pot. So my brain was thinking cheese when I was thinking of what to do for you guys this week. I also still had a can of leftover Guinness from making the chocolate syrup for Ice Cream Day. so this was the natural progression of my thought process… I can’t wait to share this with you, so let me stop rambling and get straight to it.
- American cheese to melt, Velveetta works well
- stout dark beer, Guinness recommended
- Worchestershire sauce
- dijon mustard
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- turmuric for color
- sharp cheddar cheese, thickly shredded (optional to add a little flavor and also helps with the final color)
On The Stove or In The Microwave or Instant Pot
How you choose to melt the cheese and add the other ingredients is up to you. I made mine on the stovetop. You can not leave the cheese as it is melting, you have to stir it so that the cheese touching the pot doesn’t burn. Keep it moving and you’ll be fine. Using low heat, melt your cheese. I waited until the cheese was fully melted to add the seasonings. I added everything before the beer. If you feel like the seasonings are not stirring in evenly, don’t worry. Once you add the beer, it will all incorporate much easier. I removed the heat before I added the beer.
You can use the microwave to melt your cheese. I found this to be a little harder to do, though. Every 30 seconds you need to stir the cheese because the microwave will only melt the outer edges of the cheese. I cut my cheese into small squares and that helped with a more even melting. All other instructions are the same as above.
Using your instant pot is doable too. Just be mindful of the cheese burning. You have to stir it as it’s melting. And remember with an instant pot, you want to turn the heat off before you are done so that it has time to cool down and won’t continue to add heat and burn your cheese.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
More Pub Food
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!
Guinness Beer Cheese Dip
- 16 oz American cheese (Velveeta)
- 2/3 cup stout beer (Guinness)
- 2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (thickly grated) (optional)
- 1 tbsp turmeric (optional for added yellow color)
- Cut your cheese into squares and melt over low heat.
- mix seasonings into Dijon mustard and Worchestershire sauce. Then blend into melted cheese
- add beer, folding it into the cheese. Do your best not to cause the beer to foam. Stir slowly.
- Enjoy this cheese dip with pretzels or tortilla chips or whatever you like to dip with! You can even take this cheese and turn it into a mac and cheese sauce for this dish!