Hey, everyone. I guess I’m on a pasta kick lately. Seems normal when you try to do a low-carb diet. All you end up wanting is the stuff you’re trying not to eat. Good thing my husband isn’t on any kind of low-carb diet. He can eat this cheesy chicken pasta and I’ll just make these blogs and recipe cards for you guys to enjoy! I’ll be over here sulking in the corner with my salad. 🙂 Let’s make some cheesy chicken rigatoni with Ro-tel tomatoes. I’m using rigatoni noodles, but you can use whatever pasta you like!
- Boneless and skinless chicken breast
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- onion powder
- salt and pepper
- Velveeta cheese
- shredded cheese
- Can of Ro-tel Tomatoes
- Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
Season Chicken and Pre-heat The Oven
Start with your oven preheating to 350. We’re gonna season the chicken, saute the onions and garlic, then put all that in the oven. So, while the oven is preheating, you want to saute the chopped onions and garlic. I minced my garlic cause I didn’t feel like chopping them. I mixed smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to rub on the chicken. Then laid the chicken on top of the onions and garlic I sauteed in an oven-safe dish. Put that in the oven for about 20 min. Check the chicken temperature and make sure you reach 160 degrees F.
Make The Sauce
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the Velveeta cheese. Mix in the cream of chicken soup. You may need to put it back in the microwave for a few seconds to get it to mix up evenly. You should taste the sauce. Mine needed salt. And I added a little garlic powder and onion powder to the cheese mix to bring out more of the flavors I wanted. Once it tastes the way you want, set the cheese sauce aside.
Don’t forget to pull the chicken out of the oven. Let it rest/cool for at least 10 min before you do anything else with this chicken. Trust me! If you cut it while hot you’ll lose all your juice and it will dry out.
Cook The Noodles
Boil your noodles according to the instructions on your noodles. I recommend stopping just short of al dente, though. Since we are going to have time in the oven, the noodles will finish cooking in the oven. This will also stop the noodles from being mushy in the end.
Once the noodles are cooked how you want them, mix in the cheese sauce.
Did You Let the Chicken Cool??
Now it’s safe to cut or shred the chicken breasts. After I sliced it and pulled the slices apart into smaller chunks. I got a nice ‘skin’ from my seasonings on the outside of the chicken, so it was easier for me to just pull it apart than to cut it.
Fold it all together in a casserole dish. Top it with shredded cheese and put it in the oven, which should still be set to 350, for 30 min or until you see it’s starting to get just a little brown on top.
That’s it! top with chives and serve your cheesy chicken pasta!
Pin it, Make it, Enjoy it!
Cheesy Chicken Rigatoni with Ro-tel
- range stove/oven
- oven-safe casserole dish
- microwave-safe bowl
- Measuring Cups
- mixing bowl
- 3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 can Ro-tel tomatoes (10oz)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3 cloves garlic (minced or chopped)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 8oz Velveeta cheese
- 16oz Noodles (I used rigatoni)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Mix salt, pepper, and 1tsp smoked paprika together and rub onto chicken breasts. In a skillet, saute the chopped onion and minced or chopped garlic.
- Place garlic and onions in the base of your casserole dish. Lay the chicken breasts on top of onions and place uncovered in the oven for 20 min.
- Use a thermometer to check for a temperature of 160° internal temperature. If achieved, lay the chicken out to cool.
- In a microwave-safe dish, melt the cheese and combine cream of chicken soup. Add seasonings and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Cool your noodles until just before done.
- Stir in cheese sauce with noodles. If your chicken is cooled, now cut the breasts into cubes or tear the chicken apart and add to the casserole dish.
- Top with cheese and place in the oven for 30 more minutes.
- Garnish with chives, if you like, and Enjoy!
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!