Hey everyone! I hope you’re having a great summer so far. This one comes from a surprise dessert option at a local restaurant. The word affogato literally translates from Italian to ‘drowned’. A fresh scoop of vanilla gelato is immediately given to you right after a shot of espresso is poured on top. This is such a good cap to a big filling meal. Plus you get coffee, too!
More dessert ideas can be found right here!
Ingredients for Affogato
The ingredients are straightforward! If you have a stovetop espresso maker like the one pictured, that would be best to use. Otherwise, source some strong brewed or instant coffee. You don’t have to use vanilla ice cream if you don’t want it. I’ve used dairy-free coconut and caramel chocolate swirl. Both are amazing options.
- Freshly brewed espresso
- Vanilla ice cream
Scoop Portions Before Pouring
Depending on how many servings you are doing, I like to do one or two scoops in a nice glass bowl. Feel free to put this in small mugs too. I keep them in the freezer until the coffee is hot and ready to serve.
I love when the guests get to pour the coffee over the ice cream themselves. Otherwise pour a small amount of coffee right before giving them out.
Affogato – Expresso with Ice Cream
- Espresso maker or coffee maker
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 4 shots espresso or 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee per serving
- Scoop individual scoops of ice cream into individual glass bowls, cups or small coffee cups. Place in the freezer.
- Meanwhile, make espresso shots or strong brewed coffee.
- When ready to serve, remove ice cream from freezer and give each person their cup of ice cream and a shot of espresso on the side. Instruct them to pour the espresso over their ice cream.
Pin it, Try it, Share it!
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
Need Another Dessert Idea?
Check out our Recipe for Summer Berry Fool or our Red Velvet Cake in the Instant Pot.
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!