Happy Canada Day to all the Canadians and Canadians at heart this July 1st! I wanted to do a little red and white chicken salad that you could make as a light BBQ lunch or a side dish for your festivities. This recipe uses Nicole’s meal-prepped chicken which is coming to the blog soon. Don’t miss it!
I thought of making this recipe when I saw the baked feta and cherry tomato recipe that became popular on Tik Tok. I thought about using fresh in-season strawberries instead. The combo of baked feta that gets sweet from the strawberries is so delicious on chicken salad. I can’t wait to show you how it’s done.
I like goat cheese because I find it easier to digest that type of feta. I don’t really taste the goat’y flavour as much in feta as it’s so salty! For the salad greens, it’s nice to use something hearty like baby spinach or arugula – something that can hold up to the warm ingredients.
- balsamic vinegar
- cooked chicken breast
- olive oil
- salad greens
Assembling the skillet
Much like the cherry tomato and feta Tik Tok dish, put the strawberries around the feta cheese. Drizzle a little balsamic and olive oil over top. Put the chicken breast on the side. You can use a flameproof skillet if warming this on the BBQ or a small casserole dish for the oven.
Baking the Feta
The beauty of this dish as it all comes together in a pinch. Bake or BBQ for a few minutes or until the strawberries get really juice and the feta is spreadable. The feta won’t melt per se but it will get soft. Careful not to cook it too long or else the chicken may get dry the longer it reheats.
Prepare the salad greens while the feta bakes. Plate the salad individually by putting a handful or two of salad greens on each plate. To serve, dollop a bit of the feta on top of the salad greens. Do the same with a few of the strawberries. There may be a bit of juice from the balsamic, oil, and strawberries while baking. Spoon some of the juices over the salad greens and the chicken. Taste for seasoning before adding any salt. Some feta cheeses are saltier than others. Dizzle with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar right before serving or leave them on the table for guests to dress the salad themselves.
Check out more of our chicken based recipes here.
Need something vegetarian?
Follow us on Facebook and join the conversation.
Let us know what you think of this dish by leaving a rating and review below!
Baked Feta & Strawberry Chicken Salad for Canada Day
- BBQ (optional)
- 1 cup strawberries stem removed
- 1 block feta about 150g
- 2 chicken breasts cooked
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar plus more for serving
- 4 handfuls salad about 150-200g
- Preheat an oven or BBQ to 350C.
- Place feta on a flameproof skillet or oven proof tray. Scatter strawberries around the feta.
- Place sliced cooked chicken breast on the skid of the skillet.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over top the berries and feta.
- BBQ or bake for 10-15 min until the chicken is warmed through and the centre of the feta is soft.
- Meanwhile, plate 4 plates with a handful or so of salad greens.
- Remove the feta from BBQ or oven. Place chicken on the plates of salad greens.
- Spoon dollops of feta and strawberries on top of the salad greens.
- Drizzle any liquid from the skillet or tray on top of the salad greens.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar (about 1 tsp each) on top of the salad greens. Taste and season with salt if desired.