Add a spicy little side dish to your meals this month with my Easy Cajun Style Red Beans. Hey there friends, it is Jennifer and today I’m sharing one of my favorite southern-style recipes once a week straight from my own recipe box, Easy Cajun Style Red Beans.
This week I wanted to share a side dish perfect for pairing with just about any kind of grilled meat or seafood. It is delicious with blackened chicken or tilapia and easy Cajun-style red beans can even be served directly over rice, for a spicy vegetarian version of red beans & rice.
Here’s The Secret
The real secret ingredients to spicy red beans, are real butter and smoked paprika, plus using fresh garlic, scallions, and peppers. I recommend using fresh produce, especially if you are using a canned red bean, to save time.
Start by sauteing your garlic and scallions in a medium saucepan. Using 2 tbsp of olive oil, I used garlic-flavored olive oil to add more flavor and then saute for 4-5 minutes until fragrant.
Next, add in your diced bell pepper, yellow pepper will add in color, but any variety of red, yellow, green, or orange works. Lightly toss in your skillet with a spurtle. I also add in my spices and lightly toast them for 1-2 minutes before the liquids are added. Add your smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and old bay seasoning.
Place your vegetable stock directly into the pot, topped by drained red beans. Add butter and heat for 7-8 minutes on medium-high heat. Do not stir too much as it will only break down your beans.
Ready to Serve
Serve with your favorite protein. Some of our favorite combinations include blackened chicken or tilapia with grilled shrimp skewers but you can even serve over white rice for a quick vegetarian meal.
- NOTE: While this recipe was made in a large saucepan it can be easily be converted to an Instant Pot recipe, for some of our other tasty 3 Qt. Instant Pot meals there’s a link for you.
Easy Cajun Style Red Beans
- 2 Quart Saucepan
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- 2 13.4 oz Red Kidney Beans Drained
- 2 Cloves Garlic peeled, minced
- 2 Scallions Sliced
- 2 Bell Pepper Seeded, Diced
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil ( garlic flavor preferred)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- Saute' your garlic and scallions, in 2 tbsp of olive oil, for 4-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Next add in your diced bell pepper, lightly toss in your skillet with a Bamboo Spurtle.
- Then add in all spices and lightly toast them for 1-2 minute before adding the liquids. This would be your smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and old bay seasoning.
- Place your 1/3 cup vegetable stock directly into pot. Top with drained red beans.
- Add in 1 tbsp of butter and heat thoroughly 7-8 minute on medium high heat. Try not stir to much it will only break down your beans.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
Check out our Air Fried Wings or our Ninja Foodi BBQ Chicken Wings.
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!