My Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup is the perfect dinner in a bowl and ready in a jiffy. Hey Y’all, it is Jennifer from JENRON DESIGNS. This week I have another guest post I sharing with Home Pressure Cooking! Today I am cooking up my Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup, which is a great recipe for a time-saving, easy, weeknight dinner for your Instant Pot!
As we headed into the fall and winter months we really crave those warm and cozy meals especially as the days get shorter and night falls earlier. Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup is the perfect dinner in a bowl and leaves you feeling nicely full, but not stuffed. I promise it is so good you will want to lick the bowl!
While you can use any potato you like we prefer Yukon Golds, for the lower carb and sugar content, versus a russet. If you’re looking for a lower-calorie potato, a red potato is even lower than the gold potatoes. Approximately a 1/2 cup serving, contains 77 calories, while the same size serving of a gold potato contains 77 calories, compared to that of a russet at 168 calories.
As a fun fall option, you could even make this with Sweet Potatoes and top with Cinnamon and Toasted Pecans.
First, you will want to clean your potato of choice and decide skins or no skin. We leave our skins on for the golds since they are so thin and full of nutrients. Dice your potatoes and place them inside your Instant Pot, then fill them with stock and Knorr seasoning for a richer flavor profile. Fill to just below your Instant Pots max fill line. You may have stock in reserve which can be used to thin your soup at the end. Cover, and seal the lid, cook on manual/high pressure for 20 minutes.
While the potatoes are cooking I cook my (optional) bacon garnish in my Ninja AirFryer. 5 minutes of use yields the perfect bacon, depending on the cut and brand.
Once the Instant Pot cooking time is complete, you can carefully quick vent the steam. Then remove the lid, and start the potato mashing process directly in the pot. Stir in your flour, butter, and half & half. If you find the soup gets too thick, you can stir in the remaining, leftover portion of your stock to thin to the desired consistency.
Note: If you have an immersion blender it can be used for a smoother consistency. We prefer the chunky potato version so I use a potato masher to leave a larger piece intact.
Garnish your soup with shredded cheese, sour cream, bacon pieces, and fresh chives for the full loaded potato experience.
This soup tastes great in a bread bowl, for an even heartier meal. Plus it adds a fun serving to eliminate to dress up just another basic bowl of soup!
Some more tasty 3 Qt. Instant Pot meals HERE
Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
- 1 1/2 lb Potatoe (Any Variety Yukon Gold, Red, Russet, Sweet) Cleaned & Diced
- 32 Stock we used chicken, reserve what will not fit in Instant Pot for thinning soup out later
- 4 tbsp Knorr Chicken Bouillon
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream Garnish
- 1/2 cup Bacon Cooked, Crumbled, Garnish
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shreds Garnish
- 2-3 Scallions, Green Onions Garnish
- Clean your potato of choice, and decide skins or no skin. Dice your potatoes and place inside your Instant Pot.
- Fill with stock and knorr seasoning, to just below your Instant Pots fill line, you may have stock in reserve which can be used to thin your soup at the end.
- Cover, and seal the lid, set Instant Pot to cook on manual/high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Cook bacon during this time, for garnish, if you choose to use it.
- Once the Instant Pot cooking time is complete, you can carefully quick vent the steam. Then remove the lid.
- Mashing potatoes directly in the Instant Pot.
- Stir in your flour, butter and half & half, until completely combined. For a smoother consistency you can use an immersion blender.
- If you find the soup gets too thick, stir in any remaining leftover portion of your stock, or add water to thin to the desired consistency.
- Garnish your soup with shredded cheese, sour cream, bacon pieces, and fresh chives for the full loaded potato experience.
Custom Pressure Cooker Cover (Gray and Black – 6.5 Qt. and 8 Qt.)
Color: Gray and Black
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
More Comforting Soups
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!