Welcome to Home Pressure Cooking! I love the diversity of cooking in the Instant Pot. These Rouladen rolls are by far one of our most favorite. I truly think the cut of meat is intended to be made in the Instant Pot. My husband even said if and when someone makes this recipe they won’t be disappointed and it will be a favorite. I agree. We even went on Facebook live together to create this meal. You can view that live-action HERE.
What is Rouladen? Rouladen is a German meat dish, usually consisting of bacon, onions, mustard and pickles wrapped in thinly sliced beef which is then cooked. My husband tweaked it some and instead of using bacon, we used prosciutto. We put a little Italian twist on the rolls..
For this recipe, you will need Flank steak, dill pickles, onions, mustard, tomato, wine, Beef bourguignon packet (or equivalent) beef bouillon will work, and prosciutto.
One package of flank steak gave us 10 rolls.
You want to be sure to tenderize the flank steaks first.
There was nothing complicated about this dish. In fact, while the beef rolls are cooking, is when I made some egg noodles on the stovetop.
Pin it, make it, share it, ENJOY
Beef Rouladen in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- 1 Package of Flank steak
- 1 Yellow or white onion
- 3 dill pickles
- 1 cup Diced Prosciutto or Bacon
- 1 Beef steak tomato
- 1 1/3 cup red wine
- yellow or spicy mustard
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 1/2 cup water
- toothpicks or cooking twine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Beef bourguignon packet (or equivalent) beef bouillon
- First dice your onion and pickle. Set pot on high saute. Add 2 tbsp. butter and let melt. Add pickle, onion and prosciutto or bacon to the pot. Continue to saute until golden brown.
- Remove from pot, set aside and scrape any bits off the bottom of pot.
- Tenderize flank steak
- Slice meat in strips, approximately 5-6 inches length wise.
- Spread a thin layer of mustard on each piece of flank. Add your pickle, onion, and prosciutto or bacon on top of mustard and spread evenly covering the meat. Roll up meat, tie or toothpick closed.
- Add more butter to the pot let melt and saute rolls on each side to golden brown.
- In a separate bowl mix seasoning, diced tomato, wine, water, salt pepper to taste,
- Pour over rouladen rolls and set pot on High Pressure for 20 minutes. Let naturally release for 5 minutes and then let out remaining steam and pressure with a quick release.
- Serve over egg noodles or spaetzle. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by Home Pressure Cooking today!
Find us on YOUTUBE
Feel free to join our Facebook Recipe Group. You can learn a ton of tips and tricks and exchange recipes.
Check out our new Digital, downloadable, printable pressure cooking cookbook. No crazy recipes here! You will have most ingredients and spices in your everyday pantry. Very traditional cooking for the everyday person, all tried and true and passing them to you.
Need even more recipes?
Not only for Fall but all year long enjoy amazing comfort foods. Now featuring our Fall Foodie Fixin’s hands-on digital e-Book. For use with the Ninja Foodi, Air fryer, and Mealthy CrispLid.