Hey there friends, it’s Jen from JENRON DESIGNS. Today I am sharing my Instant Pot Hearty Veggie Spaghetti Sauce from scratch! Do you have a whole bunch of tomatoes this growing season? It was such a wonderful growing year for my little tomato garden, however, as always they all decided to come in at the same time. So now it is time to prep and freeze to preserve my harvest.
Can Be Frozen for Later
My Instant Pot Hearty Veggie Spaghetti Sauce it perfect is the perfect way to preserve a large harvest all at one time. It is perfect for freezing, and will still taste great for those easy weeknight dinners.
*Also be sure to check out my tasty recipe for Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup too! It is a guaranteed winner for the winter months!
Start with Saute
The first thing you will want to do is pre-saute’ your sliced mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, and half of the diced onions, in 2 tbsp of basil olive oil, for 3-5 minutes. Just enough to slightly cook the vegetables and make them soft. Remove them with a slotted spoon and reserve in a bowl to the side for later, leaving behind all the juices and oil in the Instant Pot for the next step.
Add your halved Roma tomatoes, remaining minced sweet onion, herbs, spices, and garlic into your Instant Pot. Lightly saute for 3 minutes. Secure the lid and seal the steam release valve. Select Manual Setting or High-Pressure Cook for 15 minutes.
Then create a sauce by ladling mixture into a regular blender (only 1 cup at a time) to puree, or can use an immersion blender directly in Instant Pot until tomatoes are smooth and form a puree or sauce.
Note: If you use a blender you will be returning the sauce back into the Instant Pot between batches to keep warm. This also allows for a chucker sauce mix.
*You can actually use this base for chili as well if you like. If you add stock it can be added to thin to a more soupy consistency.
Once you have formed a sauce base, stir in your pre-cooked vegetables while the mixture is still warm. Now you have a thick and hearty sauce base ready for all your pasta recipes.
*This recipe is perfect for spaghetti bakes, stuffed zucchini boats, vegetable lasagna, or even the bases for minestrone soups. Plus the sauce can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge, or you can freeze it for up to 3-6 months in a freezer container.
Instant Pot Hearty Veggie Spaghetti Sauce
- Instant Pot 3 Qt. Mini ( Recipe Can be doubled for larger size Instant Pots)
- 1 lb Roma Heirloom Tomatoes Halved
- 2 medium Sweet Onions Diced
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 medium Zucchini Halved, Sliced
- 1 medium Bell Pepper sliced, any variety
- 8 oz Button Mushrooms Cleaned, Sliced
- 1 tbsp Basil, dried
- 2 tsp Oregano, dried
- 2 tsp Rosemary powdered or dried
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tbsp Basil Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Penzey's Season Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- First thing you do is pre saute' you mushroom, zucchini, and half the diced onions in 2 tbsp of basil olive oil for 3-5 minutes to slightly cook the vegetables.
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and reserve in a bowl to the side for later, leaving behind all the juices and oil in the Instant Pot for the next step.
- Add your halved Roma tomatoes, remaining minced sweet onion, herbs, spices and garlic into your Instant Pot. Lightly saute for 3 minutes.
- Secure the lid and seal the steam release valve. Select Manual Setting or High Pressure Cook for 15 minutes. Allow to natural vent.
- Then ladle into a regular blender only 1 cup at time, or can use an immersion blender directly in Instant Pot until tomatoes are smooth and form a puree or sauce.
- Once you have formed a sauce stir in your pre cooked vegetables while the mixture is still warm.
- This sauce can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge, or you can freeze it for up to 3-6 months in a freezer container.
Thanks for stopping by Home Pressure Cooking today!
Find us on YOUTUBE
Feel free to join our Facebook Recipe Group. You can learn a ton of tips and tricks and exchange recipes.
Check out our new Digital, downloadable, printable pressure cooking cookbook. No crazy recipes here! You will have most ingredients and spices in your everyday pantry. Very traditional cooking for the everyday person, all tried and true and passing them to you.
Need even more recipes?
Not only for Fall but all year long enjoy amazing comfort foods. Now featuring our Fall Foodie Fixin’s hands-on digital e-Book. For use with the Ninja Foodi, Air fryer, and Mealthy CrispLid.