Instant Pot Italian Stuffed Peppers are a great way to use up leftovers for the week. Hey there friends it’s Jennifer from JENRON DESIGNS, and today I am sharing a reimagined recipe that I have turned into a new easy 2 for 1 weeknight dinner. This is a great way to plan out your meals for the week and make them count.
Do you remember the Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe’s recipe I shared last fall for back to school? Well, today I want to share a new way to use the very same leftover mixture from the Sloppy Joe’s to make Italian Stuffed Peppers, so you get two different meals in one week which will save you some money and a bunch of time in the kitchen.
For this recipe, all you need is some pre-made Sloppy Joe Mixture (link to the recipe here) from the previous night’s meal or it freezes great too. We always have about half a pot, or 2 cups of leftovers, which can vary based on your family and Instant Pot size.
You will also need some fresh whole green peppers, 2 cups of cooked rice, Italian spices, shredded mozzarella, and smoked provolone cheese slices.
Prepare the Peppers
Wash and clean your peppers. Remove caps from the top as seen below, along with the seeds and plinth. You won’t want to hollow out the centers to make room for all the filling to go inside.
Note: This is the best way to get the most inside your Instant Pot.
Place pepper on top of your cooking trivet, over 1 cup of plain water. Fill pepper with the filling mixture keeping it below the edge of the pepper. Then top with a Provolone cheese slice per pepper.
Place lid on Instant Pot and Cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes. Allow to naturally vent when the cooking cycle is finished.
Cooking Note: This is a great time to use your Mealthy CrispLid if you like your cheese to get a little brown.
Serving Suggestions: This is great on a bed of rice, with a nice side salad or side rosemary roasted potatoes.
Instant Pot Italian Stuffed Peppers
Instant Pot Italian Stuffed Peppers
- Instant Pot 3 Qt. Mini ( can be doubled for a larger 6 Qt. Pot)
- Mealthy CrispLid
- Cooking Trivet
- 4 medium Green Peppers Cleaned, Seeded & Hollowed
- 2 cups Instant Pot Sloppy Joe Mixture- https://homepressurecooking.com/instant-pot-philly-cheesesteak-sloppy-joes/
- 2 cups Rice Cooked
- 4 tbsp Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- 4 slices Smoked Provolone Cheese for topping the peppers
- 1 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Marjoram
- 4 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- Wash and clean your peppers. Remove caps, seeds and plinth. You want will want to hollow out the centers to make room for all the filling to go inside.
- Place pepper on top of your cooking trivet, over 1 cup of water.
- Create your filling by mixing your leftover 2 cups of Sloppy Joe Mixture (it can be cold) with all other ingredients (except cheese slices) in a bowl.
- Fill peppers with the mixture keeping it below the top edge of pepper. Place a cheese slice directly on top .
- Place lid on Instant Pot and Cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- Allow to naturally vent when cooking cycle is finished. Remove peppers using tongs.
Looking for more recipes using the 3 Qt. Instant Pot? You can find them HERE.
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
Check out our BBQ Hamburgers in The Ninja Foodi.
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!