My Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup is the perfect hearty winter meal for a cold winter’s day.
Hey there friends, this is Jennifer from JENRON DESIGNS. Happy New Year Everyone! I am back with another guest post today on Home Pressure Cooking! Today I am sharing my homemade Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup, which is my spin on the Pioneer Soup in a Mason Jar Soup recipe.
Winter is one of those months you really want something warm and hearty and at the same time, we all crave those cozy comfort foods. I find that my Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup is the perfect mix of both of these culinary worlds. It is like a hug from the inside.
This recipe is based on the Pioneer Soup Mix you can make in mason jars, and give away for holiday neighbor gifts. I have a neighbor that that drops one of these by every year, so you know January is when I make this super yummy soup.
(They are also perfect if some is feeling under the weather, to add into a get-well basket.)
Note: To make the cute mason jar gifts, you layer the rice, seasoning, and gravy packet into a cute mason. You will want to add dried mushrooms instead of fresh, and tie on a recipe card with the remaining ingredient needed to make the soup.
Find other Instant Pot mason jar ideas HERE
I have added fresh ingredients to my recipe to up the mixture of rice, spices, and the Pioneer white gravy. This makes the soup a little more hearty and savory.
The first thing I do is season my chicken with Penzeys seasoned salt and Knorr Chicken Bouillon. I put this on top of my pre-diced chicken to save time and allow the spices to coat the meat.
I set my Instant Pot to saute and add 2 tbsp of oil to sweat your mirepoix for approximately 5 minute, prior to adding in my chicken. This gets your pot really hot, so you can get a nice brown coating on the chicken. Next, you will add your chicken and saute for 5 minutes. We love to use our Spurtles HERE for anything mixing, stirring, and sauteing.
Then place all other ingredients into the Instant Pot, except for the gravy mix and milk. Only fill with stock to just below your Instant Pots fill line, you may have stock in reserve with can be used to thin your soup at the end. Stir to combine all ingredients. Cover, and seal the lid, cook on manual/high pressure for 20 minutes.
Once the Instant Pot cooking time is complete, you can quick vent the steam, remove the lid and stir in a gravy mix of milk and gravy while the rice mixture is still piping hot. This will allow the mixture to be set up. If you find the soup gets too thick stir in the remaining leftover portion of your stock to thin to the desired consistency.
Some more tasty 3 Qt. Instant Pot meals HERE
Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot 3 Qt. Mini ( can be doubled for a larger 6 Qt. Pot)
- 1 lb Chicken Diced or chunked
- 1 cup Rice brown or white
- 1/2 cup Wild Rice
- 1 bag Mirepoix frozen
- 8 oz Mushrooms Any Kind roughly chopped (I used Shiitake Mushrooms for texture)Portobellos or Buttons can be used
- 32 oz Chicken Broth Use to your fill line of your Instant Pot
- 1 envelope Pioneer White Sausage Gravy Mix
- 2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Knorr Chicken Bouillon
- 1 tbsp Penzeys Seasoned Salt
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to Instant pot on Saute, add mirepoix and garlic and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Place seasoned Chicken (coated with seasoned salt & Knorr's Bouillon) into Instant Pot and Saute' with mirepoix mixture in olive oil for 5-10 minutes until lightly browned on outside.
- Then place all ingredient into the Instant Pot, except for the gravy mix and milk. Only fill with stock to your Instant Pot fill line, you may have stock in reserve with can be used to thin at the end. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Cover, seal the lid, and cook on manual/high pressure for 20 minutes.
- While cooking mix gravy mix, and milk in separate bowl, to make a roux.
- When finished, use quick release function to vent steam remaining steam.
- Pour the roux into the Instant Pot, after venting, stir everything together to combine well. If too thick you can add any remaining stock too thin to your desired consistency. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
More tasty recipes!
Check out our Bacon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts in the Air Fryer or our Instant Pot: Seafood Paella.
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!
One thought on “Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup”
20MINS is way too long for rice. This dish turned out to be chicken mush. I questioned it while making it but decided to make it as written. Also theres no measurement for the milk and gravy step. I used 1cup of milk and winged it. Flavor is good rice not so much.