My easy Instant Pot Black Bean Soup can easily be a meatless Monday option. Hey there friends, this is Jennifer from JENRON DESIGNS. This is one of my family’s Meatless Monday soup options, Instant Pot Black Bean Soup.
My Instant Pot Black Bean Soup recipe is traditionally made with Applewood Smoked Bacon, but you can easily omit this ingredient to make a great vegetarian meal, for your meatless Mondays.
You will want to start by sauteing your rough chopped onions, bell peppers, and garlic in 2 tbsp of oil for 5 minutes.
Note– If you are using bacon, you will want to omit the oil and just saute the bacon first, then utilize the bacon grease for this step, for added flavor.
Next, add in your drained beans and tomatoes. Followed by your vegetable stock, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and chili powder. Then lightly stir to mix.
Place your Instant Pot lid on top of your Instant Pot and set to cook to High Pressure, manual cook for 12 minutes.
Once the cooking cycle is finished, quick vent your Instant Pot and remove the lid. At this point you can either leave the soup chunky or for a smoother texture, you can use a handheld blender or potato masher to break down the beans.
Then serve up with your favorite toppings like sour cream, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, or cilantro. We love to make a garlic cheddar cheese biscuit to serve with a particular soup, which can also be cooked in the Instant Pot, so stay tuned for the recipe coming soon!
Some more tasty 3 Qt. Instant Pot meals HERE
Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
Easy Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot 3 Qt. Mini ( Recipe Can be doubled for larger size Instant Pots)
- 10 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon optional, omit for a Vegetarian Meal
- 2 tsp Garlic Minced
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper Chopped
- 4 15 oz Black Beans we like the spicy version for more flavor- if using these only lightly drained to keep some of the flavor.
- 1 32 oz Vegetable Broth
- 1 14 1/2 oz Fire Roasted Tomatoes drained
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese Garnish
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream Garnish
- 4 tsp Cilantro Garnish
- 2 tbsp Olive oil *not needed if you are using bacon grease
- If you are choosing to use bacon, cut slices in the chunks. Set you Instant Pot to saute and cook for 7-8 minutes, until done.
- Use the bacon grease to saute your onions, peppers and garlic for 5 minutes. NOTE- If you are NOT using bacon add 2 tbsp oil to Instant Pot for the saute method.
- Next add in your beans, light drained, and tomatoes.
- Add in your broth to the fill line and stir in Ketchup, Worcestershire, and chili powder.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, and cook at high pressure for 12 minutes
- Once cooking is complete, quick vent your Instant Pot, and use a hand held blender or potato masher for a smoother texture.
- Garnish with sour cream, cheddar cheese and cilantro (optional)
Looking for more beginner-friendly recipes? Click here!
More Meatless Monday Options
Get fresh ideas delivered directly to you each week.
Sign up for our newsletter and be among the first to see our latest kitchen creations!
Prefer visual learning?
Subscribe to the Home Pressure Cooking YouTube Channel and discover a wealth of great video content at your fingertips!
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think about this recipe by leaving us a rating and review below!