Have you ever tried making a batch of Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup?
Hey there friends, it is Jennifer from JENRON DESIGNS. I am a guest here today on Home Pressure Cooking and today I am sharing my Instant Pot Basil soup from scratch! It was such a wonderful growing year for my tomato garden. However, they all decided to come in at the same time. Have you ever had a massive crop of tomatoes’ and wondered what to do with all of them?
My Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup is the quickest way to preserve a large harvest at one time. Plus it is perfect for freezing, and will still taste great this winter.
First thing you do is add your mixture of tomatoes, minced sweet onion, butter, and garlic into your Instant Pot. I am using a 3 quart mini, but you can double this recipe for larger pots. Fill with a vegetable stock, only to the fill line. A little cooking tip that I find super helpful is to quarter your Roma tomatoes, it makes them fit into the Instant Pot better. Secure the lid and seal the steam release valve. Select Manual Setting or Pressure Cook to cook at high pressure for 15 minutes.
Seasoning Your Tomato Basil Soup
Add seasoned salt, olive oil, and basil to the tomatoes. Then ladle into a regular blender or an immersion blender directly in Instant Pot until tomatoes are smooth and form a puree or sauce.You can actually use this base for chili or spaghetti sauce if you like. If you had extra stock it can be added to thin the mixture to a more soupy consistency or you can add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water as needed.
Tomato Basil Soup
Garnish and serve. Parmesan chips are a lovely addition to this soup along with fresh thyme leaves or additional basil. This soup can also be packaged into an airtight container and stored for up to a week in the fridge, or you can freeze it for up to 3 months in a freezer container.
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- Instant Pot 3 Qt. Mini ( Recipe Can be doubled for larger size Instant Pots)
- 1 lb Tomatoes fresh
- 1 Onion, small sweet (Vidalia Onion), minced
- 2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 16 oz Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 cups Basil fresh, sliced into ribbons
- 2 sprigs Thyme (optional) garnish
- 1/2 Parmesan Cheese (optional) garnish or to make chips
- Add mixture of tomatoes, butter, onion, and garlic to your Instant Pot. Add stock to fill line.
- Secure the lid and seal the steam release valve. Select Manual Setting or Pressure Cook to cook at high pressure for 15 minutes. It takes around 8- 10 minutes for the pressure to build in the pot, before the cooking will start and the pot will flip to the "On" setting. A great tip is that you can sauté the onions in the butter, to warm your pot which can cut the heating time in half.
- When the cooking cycle is done, allow the pressure to naturally release before opening the pot, this will take approximately 10 minutes. When the screen reads L0:10 you can vent the steam valve to release any remaining pressure. Then it will be safe to remove the lid.
- Add seasoned salt, olive oil, and basil to the tomatoes. Then use a blender or an immersion blender to smooth the tomatoes into a puree or sauce. You can actually use this base for chili or spaghetti sauce if you like. If you had extra stock it can be added to thin the mixture to a more soupy consistency or you can add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water as needed.
- This soup can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge, or you can freeze it for up to 3-6 months in a freezer container.
Thanks for stopping by Home Pressure Cooking today!
Find us on YOUTUBE
Feel free to join our Facebook Recipe Group. You can learn a ton of tips and tricks and exchange recipes.
Check out our new Digital, downloadable, printable pressure cooking cookbook. No crazy recipes here! You will have most ingredients and spices in your everyday pantry. Very traditional cooking for the everyday person, all tried and true and passing them to you.
Need even more recipes?
Not only for Fall but all year long enjoy amazing comfort foods. Now featuring our Fall Foodie Fixin’s hands-on digital e-Book. For use with the Ninja Foodi, Air fryer, and Mealthy CrispLid.