We love cube steak! However, I do not like shoe leather-tasting cube steak. Have you ever made cube steak and it’s so tough and chewy by the time you’re finished your jaw hurts! No thank you. It was always a hit and miss for me before. Today I am sharing how to make cube steak in the Instant Pot.
It was tender and no sign of jaw pain after we ate. Served with a side of red skin mashed potatoes, onion gravy, and asparagus… my heart and family were all content.
There are several ways you can go about making cube steak in the Instant Pot. I prefer my way simply because Cube Steak tends to leach out fat globs… if you know what I mean. Those big brown globs of brown jiggly, whatever it is… fat I suppose. Something globular you don’t want in your gravy. I use a trivet. If your pot did not come with a trivet or perhaps you are looking for another one I just so happen to have a trivet in our Home Pressure Cooking line. You will see my line of goods at the end of this post.
Another thing I prefer is well seasoned but lightly salt spiced meats. Use a spice with a hint of brown sugar and pepper you can’t go wrong. We use it on roast, burgers, and even seasoning stew meat.
See that little glob of whatever is coming out the bottom? That’s what I am talking about! Who wants that in their gravy? Not me. Most of it landed in the pot. Of course, I had to rinse and wash it well.
See the printable recipe at the end. You may also love my Salisbury Meatball Recipe. I have a wonderful homemade gravy with that.
Pin it, make it, share it!
Cube Steak in The Instant Pot
- Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs. of cube steak (About 2 packages)
- Meat seasoning of choice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 packet of beefy onion Lipton soup
- 1-2 tbsp. corn starch
- Fresh or canned mushrooms optional
- Season the top and bottom of the cube steak with your beef seasoning of choice. This can be simply salt and pepper or seasoning you prefer.
- Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot. Set the cube steak on a trivet. Stacking is fine. Pour the other half of the water on top of the cube steak.
- Set pot on High Pressure for 15 minutes with a quick-release.
- While cube steak is cooking make your gravy using Lipton onion soup mix about 1½ cups of water and cornstarch. Whisk while simmering. Add in the mushrooms if you desire at this point while making your gravy.
- Serve gravy over the cube steak.
- Enjoy with mashed potatoes.